Self-care is critical. The road to recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. Educators who have poured themselves into action at the beginning of the pandemic will eventually run dry if they don’t refill and refuel.
What are some strategies for self-care?
- Schedule regular times for self-care each day.
- Take advantage of free resources, such as the five starter plays for enhancing teacher and staff well-being in Kaiser Permanente’s toolkit, Planning for the Next Normal at School Playbook.
- Kaiser Permanente’s Planning for the Next Normal at School Playbook: Staff and Teacher Well-Being
- Incorporate short routines using free apps like Calm or myStrength, into the regular school schedule (e.g. during staff meetings).
- Know the signs of burnout, and use the options in your district’s employee health plan to address challenges early on.
Consider other mental health resources if you need additional help https://www.mentalhealthca.org/resources